Real Property Sales, Leases and Permits
The New York State Thruway Authority will currently consider, depending upon the circumstances, three major types of transactions authorized in accordance with the Thruway Real Property Management Policy (25-6-02) that members of the public may request relative to the use of surplus Thruway real property:
- Sales of Thruway real property may be considered in the event that such property is not needed by the Authority, either presently or in the foreseeable future. It is generally required that a competitive process be followed for sales.
- Leases of Thruway real property may be considered in the event that such property is not needed by the Authority, either presently or in the near future. It is generally required that a competitive process be followed for leases.
- Permits are revocable-on-demand instruments that are issued by the Authority in two forms: (a) a work permit and (b) an occupancy permit. Work permits are issued to allow an improvement or a physical alteration to be made to Thruway real property. Work permits may also be issued for a short term use that may not warrant an occupancy permit, such as an event on Thruway property or for contractor pre-bid visits. Occupancy permits are issued to allow the occupation and use of Thruway real property irrespective of whether any work-related activity may be occurring on such property.
The first step in determining the viability of a transaction proposed by a member of the public is to contact the appropriate personnel in one of the Authority’s four Division offices to discuss the transaction, and seek assistance in completing the relevant application forms.
- New York Division - I-87 (Interchange 1-18); the Cross Westchester Expressway (I-287, Interchanges 1-10); and the New England Thruway (I-95, Interchanges 8-22).
Division Permit Coordinator: (845) 918-2510.
- Albany Division - I-87 (Interchange 18-24), I-90 (Interchange 24) to Canajoharie (3.8 miles west of Exit 29); and the Berkshire Section (Interchanges B1-B3).
Division Permit Coordinator: (518) 471-5073.
- Syracuse Division - I-90 from Canajoharie (3.8 miles west of Interchange 29 - Interchange 45).
Division Permit Coordinator: (315) 438-2345.
- Buffalo Division - I-90 (Interchange 45-61); and the Niagara Section (Interchanges 1-21).
Division Permit Coordinator: (716) 635-6253.
Occupancy and Work Permits
- Occupancy and Work Permit Accommodation Guidelines (TAP-401)
- Occupancy Permit Standard Operating Procedure
- Occupancy Permit Application (TA-W41337)
- Occupancy Permit Application Supplement (TA-W5123)
- Fiber Optic Facilities Supplement (TAP-401F)
- Utility Occupancy Supplement (TAP-401U)
- Design & Construction Requirements for Occupancies:
- General Design and Construction Requirements (TAP-421A)
- Design and Construction Requirements for Underground Crossings of Mainline Pavement and Shoulders (TAP-421B)
- Design and Construction Requirements for Aerial Communication and Power Line Installations (TAP-421C)
- Design and Construction Requirements for Installations/Crossings on or Attached to Bridge Structural Retaining Walls (TAP-421D)
- Design and Construction Requirements for Unencased Gas Pipelines (TAP-421E)
- Request To Access Authority/Corporation Property (TA-W4106-9)
- Supplemental Insurance Certificate - (TA-W51343-9)
Additional Information and Reports
- Standard Operating Procedures -
September 2006 - Revised February 2012
*The files below are in PDF format unless otherwise noted.
- Real Property Management
- Introduction - Section 00.1 - September 2006
- Administrative Procedures - Section 01
- Land Transaction Procedures - Section 02
- Transaction Analysis Process - Section 02.1 - February 2012
- Appraisals and Surveys - Section 02.2 - February 2012
- Submittals to the Offices of the Attorney General and the State Comptroller - Section 02.3 - September 2006
- State Environmental Quality Review Act - Section 02.4 - September 2006
- Occupancy Permits - Section 02.5 - March 2010
- Work Permits - Section 02.6 - July 2011
- Permit and Lease Enforcement - Section 02.7 - January 2011
- Leases - Section 02.8 - September 2006
- Acquisitions - Section 02.9 - September 2006
- Sales - Section 02.10 - September 2006
- Additional Information - Section 03
- Glossary - Section 03.1 - September 2006
- Real Property Management
- Lobbying Law Forms & Guidelines
- Guidelines Regarding Permissible Contacts During a Procurement and the Prohibition of Inappropriate Lobbying Influence (TAP-335)
- Public Officers Law Section 73
- Public Officers Law Section 74
- State Finance Law Section 139j
- State Finance Law Section 139k
- Certificate Of Compliance With The Authority/Corporation Guidelines Regarding Permissible Contacts During A Procurement And The Prohibition Of Inappropriate Lobbying Influence (TA-W2111-9)
- New York State Finance Law Sections 139-j and 139-k, Disclosure of Prior Non-Responsibility Determinations (TA-W3053-9)
For Additional Information on Procurement Lobbying : Visit NYS Office of General Services
- Vendor Responsibility Questionnaire (TA-W3205-9)
- Real Property Transaction Reports
- Inventory of Thruway Authority Real Property
- Property Record Map Information:
Land Surveyors working adjacent to the Thruway Right of Way (R.O.W.) are encouraged to contact the Engineering Services - Real Property Unit at (518) 436-3078 to obtain information about Thruway R.O.W. Maps.