Estimator Software Support
Estimator is an interactive, PC based, stand-alone cost estimation system for highway construction. It utilizes a Windows graphical user interface (GUI) for the preparation of detailed estimates. Estimator can support estimation via cost-based, reference-based, historical or ad hoc pricing.
Estimator is an integral part of the Trns•Port system, providing the cost estimate to the Proposal and Estimates System (PES) and Letting and Awards System (LAS) modules that the Authority is using to process their contracts and bids.
The New York State Thruway Authority (NYSTA) has upgraded to version 2.9a of Estimator. Consultants may purchase a copy from the developer, InfoTech Inc., who will limit all new purchases or renewals of Estimator for use on Authority projects to that version. InfoTech will automatically provide the newer version free of charge to any consultants with active licenses. The new version will be valid for the remainder of their original license period. Any questions regarding the version should be directed to the Authority’s Bureau of Design Support Services at (518) 471-4244.
How to Obtain the Software
Design Consultants will need to purchase a copy of Estimator from the developer, Info Tech, that is specifically branded for the New York State Thruway Authority. Do not use a version purchased for use on projects for other state DOTs, including those of the New York State Department of Transportation.
- Estimator Product Information
- Purchase Estimator Software 2.9a for the New York State Thruway Authority
Once the New York State Thruway Authority brand of Estimator has been obtained as specified above, consultants can utilize the following support files developed by the Thruway Authority:
- NYSTA Consultant Installation and Configuration Guide
A guide Design Consultants should follow when installing and configuring Estimator for use on New York State Thruway Authority projects.
- NYSTA Estimator Procedures for Consultants
A brief summary of procedures Design Consultants should follow when producing an estimate on New York State Thruway Authority projects using the Estimator software.
- NYSTA Supplement to Estimator User’s Guide
A supplement to the generic Estimator User's Guide that contains specific guidance for using Estimator on New York State Thruway Authority projects.
- NYSTA English Weighted Average Bid Price Book
A weighted average bid price book (WABPB) which summarizes the historical prices bid for each specific New York State Thruway Authority English contract item (December 23, 2016 thru December 23, 2019)
- NYSTA English All Items List
A listing of all the English items in the Authority's Estimator system as of December 23, 2019.
A catalog file for projects employing English items. Contains commonly used 2008 New York State Department of Transportation Standard Specification Book English items and New York State Department of Transportation special specification English items also approved for use at the New York State Thruway Authority, as well as approved New York State Thruway Authority special specification English items.
*Note: This file only needs to be downloaded manually if Estimator is not configured to automatically download catalog updates, as specified in the New York State Thruway Authority Consultant Installation and Configuration Guide.
The New York State Thruway Authority, in conjunction with the New York State Department of Transportation, has developed a supplemental Microsoft Access application to create and print additional reports, some of which are not available within the Estimator program itself. These additional reports are:
- Combined Estimate Report
- Item Summary Report
- Comment Report
- Report Sorted by Cost
Estimate Report Files:
- New York State Thruway Authority Estimate Reports - nysta-estimate-reports.mdb (Microsoft Database, 384 Kb)
- New York State Thruway Authority Estimate Reports User Guide
Estimator Computer Based Training (CBT)
The New York State Department of Transportation has developed an Estimator CBT module as a training aid for this software.
- Design consultants can download the CBT module from the New York State Department of Transportation website. The download files are large (~ 103 MB) and will take several minutes to download with a high speed connection.
- Alternatively, consultants may request a CD containing the CBT by contacting the New York State Thruway Authority’s Design Support Services Bureau at 518-471-4244.
- The New York State Thruway Authority has developed a supplement to the Estimator CBT module identifying the differences between the CBT configuration and the New York State Thruway Authority Estimator configuration. The supplement also updates the instructions in the CBT’s Exercise Worksheet to be consistent with changes in version 2.9a of Estimator.
- Any questions by New York State Thruway Authority consultants concerning the CBT module or supplement should be directed to the Bureau of Design Support Services at (518) 471-4244.