Skip to Main Content
Skip to Navigation

Vehicle Damage Claim

A Vehicle damage claim request can be submitted to the New York State Thruway Authority by completing the Vehicle Damage Claim Form (TA-W1552) and mailing it to the Legal Department's Claim Unit at the following address:

New York State Thruway Authority
Attn: Claims Unit
P.O. Box 189
Albany, NY  12201-0189

The completed form may also be scanned and e-mailed to the Claims Unit at or faxed to (518) 471-4340.

To contact the Claims Unit, please call (518) 436-2981 and leave a message. A representative will get back to you. 

The Legal Department will review your claim and respond in writing within approximately 8-10 weeks after the completed form is received.  Submitting this claim form does not guarantee payment or reimbursement. 

Claims for incidents occurring on the Cross Westchester Expressway (CWE) I-287 are handled by the New York State Department of Transportation (NYSDOT). Please contact NYSDOT at for more information on how to file a claim.

Note:  This form is not a Notice of Intention to make a claim in the Court of Claims.  You must pursue the remedies available under the Court of Claims Act.  Under this Act, there is a 90-day notice requirement, and the Thruway Authority advises you to seek the assistance of an attorney for further information.