Cashless Tolling Project Schedule & News
There are two main phases of the project on the ticketed portion of the Thruway, which is located between exits 15 (Woodbury) on I-87 and exit 61 (Ripley – PA Line) on I-90 as well as exits B1 – B3 (Berkshire Spur).
- The first phase was completed in November 2020. Phase one included the installation of the steel gantries over the highway and/or exit/entrance ramps and state of the art equipment to scan E-ZPass tags and capture license plate information.
- The second phase of the project began after cashless tolling was operational system-wide in November 2020. It includes the removal of the toll plazas and realignment and repaving of the exit/entrance ramps.
In 2018, seven fixed toll barriers on the Thruway were converted to cashless tolling.
- November 16, 2020 -- THRUWAY AUTHORITY ANNOUNCES START OF TOLL BOOTH REMOVAL FOLLOWING SUCCESSFUL CONVERSION TO CASHLESS TOLLING
- November 13, 2020 -- STATEMENT: THRUWAY AUTHORITY EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR MATTHEW J. DRISCOLL ON HISTORIC CONVERSION TO CASHLESS TOLLING ON THE THRUWAY
- November 12, 2020 -- GOVERNOR CUOMO ANNOUNCES CASHLESS TOLLING TO GO LIVE OVERNIGHT ON NYS THRUWAY'S TICKETED SYSTEM BEGINNING FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 13, MORE THAN A MONTH AHEAD OF SCHEDULE
- October 14, 2020 -- THRUWAY AUTHORITY ANNOUNCES CASHLESS TOLLING TO GO LIVE ON NYS THRUWAY IN NOVEMBER
- August 28, 2020 -- Governor Cuomo Announces Installation of Final Steel Gantry Ahead of Conversion to Cashless Tolling on the NYS Thruway by the End of 2020
- March 3, 2020 -- THRUWAY AUTHORITY ANNOUNCES INSTALLATION OF FIRST TWO ‘OVER THE HIGHWAY’ GANTRIES AHEAD OF CONVERSION TO CASHLESS TOLLING BY THE END OF 2020
- February 26, 2020 -- THRUWAY AUTHORITY ANNOUNCES MILESTONE IN DESIGN-BUILD PROJECT TO BRING CASHLESS TOLLING TO THE THRUWAY SYSTEM-WIDE BY THE END OF 2020
- June 17, 2019 -- GOVERNOR CUOMO ANNOUNCES SELECTION OF DESIGN-BUILD TEAM TO INSTALL CASHLESS TOLLING ON THE NYS THRUWAY BY END OF 2020
- February 14, 2019 -- THRUWAY AUTHORITY ANNOUNCES RELEASE OF FINAL RFP TO INSTALL CASHLESS TOLLING ON NYS THRUWAY TICKETED SYSTEM
- December 20, 2018 --
GOVERNOR CUOMO ANNOUNCES ON-TIME COMPLETION OF CASHLESS TOLLING AT ALL FIXED-PRICE TOLL BARRIERS ON NEW YORK STATE THRUWAY