Thruway Maintenance Worker (TMW) and Thruway Maintenance Worker (TMW) Trainee
Complete and sign the Employment Application and send to the email address or mailing address below:
NYS Thruway Authority
P.O. Box 189
Albany, NY 12201-0189
Indicate the geographic area(s) of employment preference (Albany, New York, Syracuse, or Buffalo) upon submission of Employment Application.
Duties Description: TMW and TMW Trainees, under the supervision of Thruway Maintenance Supervisors 1 or 2 or journey-level trades workers, work alone or as a member of a team performing maintenance, repair, improvement and reconstruction of pavements, shoulders, medians, right-of-way, facilities, ramps, interchanges, bridges, culverts, water control and other structures, appurtenances and retaining walls. TMWs perform snow and ice control activities; operate and perform maintenance and minor repairs on a variety of self-propelled pneumatic and other equipment; and may serve as a team leader and provide guidance and instruction to others.
Duties require medium to heavy physical effort, shift work, call outs, scheduled and unscheduled overtime, exposure to adverse weather conditions, standing for prolonged periods of time, working in non-permit required confined spaces and at heights, and use of personal safety equipment, including respirators.
Competitive Pay and Excellent Benefits: The Thruway Authority offers a competitive salary and benefits package in all parts of the state. The positions below belong to the Teamster's Negotiating Unit and provide employees numerous opportunities to work overtime at a rate of time and a half, particularly during the winter maintenance season. The hourly rates for TMWs range from $19.64 ($24.02 in certain geographic locations) to $26.37 ($27.88 in certain geographic locations), commensurate with experience. In addition to competitive pay, we offer excellent benefits, training programs and professional development opportunities to our employees.
Additional Comments: If you meet the minimum qualifications and are interested in any of the areas listed, complete an Employment Application, indicating which level position you are applying for.
Thruway Maintenance Workers (TMWs) are responsible for maintaining the length of the Thruway, spanning from New York City to Buffalo and the Pennsylvania border. These workers perform duties required to maintain, improve, repair, and reconstruct the infrastructure of the 570-mile superhighway.
TMW and TMW Trainee positions are filled at various locations in the four Divisions – New York, Albany, Syracuse and Buffalo. Please read the qualifications below for EACH level.
Minimum Qualifications: Candidates must be at least 18 years of age and meet the minimum qualifications for appointment to the TMW Trainee 1, 2, or 3 or Journey-Level TMW as described below:
- TMW Trainee 1 Level – 36-Month Traineeship:
Possession of a valid New York State Commercial Driver License Class B Permit with tank endorsement and no air brake restriction.
- TMW Trainee 2 Level – 24 Month Traineeship:
- One year as a TMW Trainee 1; OR
- Possession of a Commercial Driver License Class B with tank endorsement and no air brake restriction and six months of experience operating construction equipment and vehicles and twelve months of experience in carpentry, masonry, welding, ironwork, or other trade related to bridge construction or repair; OR
- A valid Commercial Driver License Class B with tank endorsement and no air brake restriction and eighteen months of experience operating construction equipment and vehicles.
- One year as a TMW Trainee 2; OR
- Possession of a Commercial Driver License Class B with tank endorsement and no air brake restriction; AND
Twelve months of experience in operating construction equipment and vehicles; AND
- Eighteen months of experience in carpentry, masonry, welding, ironwork, or other trade related to bridge construction or repair.
- Satisfactory completion of a three year TMW Traineeship; OR
- Possession of a New York State Commercial Driver License Class B with tank endorsement and no air brake restriction; AND
One year of experience operating construction equipment and vehicles;
- Two years of experience in carpentry, masonry, ironwork, welding, or other trade related to bridge construction or repair; OR
- Training received through completion of a two year technical school course in carpentry, masonry, welding, ironwork, or other trade related to bridge construction or repair; OR
- Completion of a high school technical course in carpentry, masonry, welding, ironwork, or other trade related to bridge construction or repair and 12 months of experience in bridge construction or repair.
Some of the benefits enjoyed by Thruway Authority employees are:
- Health Insurance
- Prescription Coverage
- Dental and Vision Plans
- Paid Holidays, Sick, and Vacation Leave
- Generous Pension
- Deferred Compensation
- Tuition Assistance Program
- College Savings Program
- On-The-Job Training
- Pre-tax Programs for Medical Expenses, Child Care and Elder Care