NYS Thruway Authority Home

New York State Thruway Authority

For more information call:
Media Relations and Communications
(518) 471-5300

For Immediate Release: March 26, 2012

Emergency Detour Signs for Exit 23-24 Corridor
Planning Ahead for Unscheduled Road Closures

Motorists traveling on I-90 near Albany will notice new Emergency Detour signs, the New York State Thruway Authority announced.

The Thruway Authority does not anticipate detours during the ongoing reconstruction of the Exit 23-24 Corridor.

These detour signs are permanent fixtures that will be available for any unplanned incidents in the future. Similar Emergency Detour signs will be erected in other high-volume commuter areas of the Thruway system. Individual detour routes will be identified by unique letter designations, to avoid overlap and driver confusion.

For the Albany area, in the event of an incident that requires an emergency detour, northbound traffic will be re-routed at Exit 21A to the Berkshire Spur of the Thruway, and to I-90 from Schodack to Exit 24 in Albany. The southbound Emergency Detour is the reverse.

See the Emergency Detour maps.

In the event of an incident, motorists will be informed about an Emergency Detour  route via electronic Dynamic Message Signs along the highway and by Highway Advisory Radio broadcasts on 1610 AM. 

The Thruway Authority’s partners for these Emergency Detour projects include the New York State Department of Transportation, the Federal Highway Administration, the New York State Police and local emergency responders

These signs are permanent and differ from temporary detour signs sometimes posted during construction projects. 

The Thruway Authority offers a free TRANSalert service that alerts customers via email or text messaging about unscheduled incidents along the Thruway. For more information, please see go to http://www.thruway.ny.gov/tas/index.html.

For more information about the Exit 23-24 Corridor Project, go to http://www.thruway.ny.gov/projectsandstudies/projects/i23-i24/index.html .

-30-

Google Translate Disclaimer