NYSTA Electronic Bidding - Trns•port Expedite
Section 1. Summary
The New York State Thruway Authority (NYSTA) uses Trns•port Expedite Software for electronic bidding. Expedite is a product of the American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials (AASHTO) that is currently used by the majority of State Departments of Transportation. It is provided free of charge, and can be used on almost any Windows-compatible PC. It integrates with many existing electronic bid preparation software, and has import/export capability for use with database and spreadsheet systems.
Expedite allows bidders to receive electronic proposal bid item information from the NYSTA’s internet web site and to produce both an electronic and a paper-based bid. Bidders need to enter unit prices only, all other information is supplied by the software. Benefits include:
- Instant entry of item data. Bid data import in seconds and users of computer systems that collect item data need not spend hours constructing bid files from “item libraries”.
- Automated calculations and error-checking. Expedite calculates item and overall bid totals on-the-fly, as estimators work through the list, and alerts estimators if an item is accidentally omitted. This greatly reduces errors in calculation and reasoning.
- Electronic amendments. Amended item bid data is downloaded and applied to bids, with automatic recognition of changes.
- Faster delivery of item bid data. Electronic files of item bid data will be posted to the NYSTA website to coincide with advertising and contract proposal sale dates. Amended item bid data will be posted as soon as it is available.
- Faster processing of contract documents and verification of bid results. NYSTA processes electronic bids much faster than handwritten bids.
For additional information and downloads, see the NYSTA website at http://www.thruway.ny.gov/business/contractors/expedite/index.html
Section 2. Participation and Relationship to Paper Documents
Electronic bidding neither replaces paper bids nor forces any Contractor to bid electronically. Rather, participation is voluntary and electronic bidders must submit matching paper documents to backup the electronic file. Expedite writes a matching date-time group in both the computer file and on every printed bid page as per NYSTA specifications. This date-time helps verify that the electronic and printed files are consistent. In case of discrepancy, paper bids always prevail and are the primary legal document.
Section 3. Third-party software
NYSTA endorses no particular product but expects all such vendors and individuals to voluntarily keep pace with changes in NYSTA specifications.
Section 4. Proposal Notes and Changes By Amendment
Contractors are solely responsible for recognizing and properly responding to any and all special notes and circumstances printed in the Contract Proposal and any and all changes by amendment from the amendment documents and/or notices communicated to them by the NYSTA’s Contracts Unit.
Amendments are posted on line at: www.thruway.ny.gov/business/contractors/amendments/index.shtml. If an amendment involves changes to item bid data, an amended Expedite file will be posted to the NYSTA’s website, and this file must be applied to your electronic bid. However, not all amendments will involve changes to item bid data. Do not bid without carefully reviewing the printed proposal and any and all changes by amendment. Proposal notes and circumstances include, but are not limited to, printed information on alternate, fixed and/or limited cost items and/or special circumstances regarding item placement and use.
Section 5. Tips and Precautions
All electronic bidders should...
- Follow the procedures in NYSTA's "Expedite BID Instructions", which are posted on the NYSTA website at http://www.thruway.ny.gov/business/contractors/expedite/index.html. The Expedite downloads & demos and the software Help messages are also useful.
- Enter the Agency as NYSTA.
- Use the appropriate Federal-ID and firm name. Federal-ID must be in the format 12-3456789. If possible, joint ventures should create and save a new Expedite export configuration with the Federal-ID and legal name assigned to the joint venture. Alternatively, use the Federal-ID and name of the joint venture partner with the largest financial commitment or managing role in cases of 50/50 financial commitments.
- Enter days for the B portion(s) of A + B bids on the Proposal Sites screen (if applicable).
- Provide any other information required on the Miscellaneous Data screen (if applicable)
- Import, export and print files as per the instructions. Maintain consistent date-time groups. Never mix partial printouts with differing date-time groups or create electronic or print files in independent efforts that cause different date-time groups. Mismatched date-time groups indicate files of a different age and origin and invalidate the electronic portion of your bid.
- Submit your electronic bid file on a diskette or CD attached to your paper bid. Include only one file per bid. The diskette or CD must be labeled with the following information:
- Firm name
- Letting date
- D number
- A statement as to whether the paper bid does or does not include any handwritten changes from the electronic bid file.
Section 6. Additional Information and Assistance
- Bidding Questions: Contact NYSTA's Office of Contract Management at 518-436-2902.
- Contract Questions: Contact NYSTA's Design Services Bureau at 518-471-4244.
- Software Questions: Contact NYSTA's Department of Information Technology Help Desk, at 518-471-4400.
- Web Site Questions: Refer to the "Contact Us" section of NYSTA's Internet site or contact the Authority's Office of Media Relations and Communications at 518-471-5300.